IF YOU SUSPECT THAT A CHILD IS BEING ABUSED OR NEGLECTED, YOU SHOULD IMMEDIATELY...
Call your local police department
Make a report to the Department of Children and Families by calling the Child-At Risk Hotline at 1(800)792-5200
IF A CHILD DISCLOSES ABUSE...
Call the DCF Child-At-Risk Hotline
Believe the child
Allow the child to talk
Show interest and concern
- Reassure and support the child
- Take action. It could save a child’s life.
- Panic or overreact
- Press the child to talk
- Promise anything you can’t control
- Confront the offender
- Blame or minimize the child’s feelings
- Overwhelm the child with questions